Question
Posted by: Linda | 2012-02-26

Low blood pressure

My dad is 88 and three times he has fainted and lost consciousness for several hours. We take him to hospital and after having some oxygen he comes home again. The doctor says it is calcification of the arteries and at times he does not get enough oxygen to the brain hence the fainting. He stayed with me over the weekend at I saw that he falls asleep often during conversations so I took his blood pressure and fou d it to be 129/47. Firstly is this BP bad and what should I do as he is taking Medicine for high blood pressure. I think we should keep oxygen handy and I am not comfortable with him falling asleep all the time. When he wakes up sometimes he is very confused. Is the BP the problem? I will take him to the doctor if it is bad but he is very stubborn to go to the doctor however if I can explain why he will go. I am so worried. Thanks. Linda

Linda

Unfortunately, at the age of 88, there is not much one can do for hardening of the arterial walls. As the walls of the arteries are hardened, they can not expand and contract to allow more oxygen to the brain. Ask his doctor to re-evaluate if it is necessary for your father to take the hypertension medication. The lower reading of his blood pressure is very low and can cause fainting. Discuss this with the doctor. Keeping oxygen at hand will be of benefit. At his age, the treatment options are limited.