Question
Posted by: MattsMom | 2011/01/12

Low blood pressure

Doc, one normally expects someone who is quite overweight (119kg) to suffer from High Blood Pressure and not the oposite as I currently am.

Why would this be. I am not on medicaltion but the few times I''ve felt woozy and had a reading taking by the nurse on site, it was very low and she was quite concerned .

Are there certain foods I can eat that can help in any way with this problem? Other than the wooziness, I feel fine - no issues with cholesterol either.

Hallo MattsMom
High blood pressure is often a hereditary condition and although obesity increases your risk, it is not a given that overweight will cause hypertension. What could be a problem is that the blood pressure is not taken correctly in overweight people due to not having a big enough blood pressure cuff available to go around the arm properly. You should never need to hold the cuff to prevent it from loosening when you do blood pressure. I suggest that you ensure that the reading taken is correct, before discussing with your doctor - you may need to take salt supplements (he will check with a blood test) or take medication like Akrinor if you BP is very low and causing lightheadedness.

2
Posted by: Susan | 2011/01/12

I''ve discovered that eating something salty helps, Provitas/ Salticrax with some marmite, or liquorice or salty chips. Are you sure its low blood pressure though? It might also be low bloodsugar levels?

Reply to Susan
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/01/12

Hallo MattsMom