Question
Posted by: Karen | 2009/12/07

low blood pressure

I have very low blood pressure - last time it was 80 over 60 and I am at the mo feeling quite tired and sometimes dizzy. After a fairly severe fainting spell my doctor did some bloodtests but all seems normal : thyroid, sugar, iron etc. Are there specific things I can do diet wise to help with this? I am already eating more salt.

Dear Karen
Did the dr not prescribe a medication like Effortil which can help to increase your bp? If not, discuss this approach with him/her because from a dietary point of view the only thing you can do is to eat a bit more salt (not too much as it can harm the kidneys)and you are already doing this.
I hope the dr can prescribe a medication that helps because you could injure yourself if you faint like that.

3
Posted by: Dr John | 2010/03/21

Unfortunately Effortil perlongets was the only drug on the market that was effective in the treatment of hypotension. It was discontinued due to so called (environmental concerns) in it''s manufacturing process. Just another way of saying it was not a money maker anymore.

Reply to Dr John
Posted by: Delene | 2009/12/09

Effortil is no longer on the market - has been discontinued. My daughter suffers from exactly same problem - drops to 60 /40. has to be hospitalized. Dr has her on Florinef now and she has to wear those dreadful elaxtic stockings 24hours a day - still not much improvement. She was tested for Addisons disease - this can be reason for low BP. She tested negative so the fight continues. All the best

Reply to Delene

Dear Karen