Posted by: melody | 2009-09-14

low blood pressure

My daughter 22 yrs old has low blood pressure, and a low heart rate. She tends to getting dizzy often and ends up fainting.
This seems to happen more around her day 1-2 of her menstruation. The heat also seems to play a part, she does drink a lot of water.
My question what can she take just to " lift"  her blood pressure quicky if she feels dizzy and light headed.

Hallo Melody
We used to have Effortil or Akrinor but I have had difficulty finding any lately - some pharmacies say that it has been discontinued. Alternative is caffein drinks like Redbull or salty foods although I think it is very unhealthy!

Posted by: melody | 2009-09-14

Thanks. We seeing the GP in a few days and will ask him.,

Reply to melody
Posted by: Delene | 2009-09-14

melody, I am not a medical practitioner but a mother or a 28yr old daughter who suffers from very low blood pressure and had been using Effortil with good results. This unfortunately has been discontinued and the cardioligist suggested AKRINOR tabs 1 in the morning and 1 at night. This seems to do the trick and the medication is available without a script. BUT PLEASE first ask your GP for his/her advise on this before just using it for your daughter. You know each person reacts differently on medication. This has just been our experience with a similar problem as yours.

Reply to Delene