Question
Posted by: CT | 2011/06/11

Low AMH and IVF success rates?

In September 2009 at age 24 I was diagnosed with POF with an AMH of 0.76 and FSH of 12. I have been ttc for almost 5 years with 2 miscarriages, the last one in January this year. I am sure my AMH has deteriorated further by now and was wondering what is the success rate of IVF with a low AMH using own eggs and more or less what would the cost be as I am sure I would need extra stimms.
Thanks!

Dear CT

Anti-mullerian hormone (AMH) and FSH are used as markers to assess ovarian reserve. Looking at you levels done in 2009, would certainly indicate a very poor ovarian reserve and therefore a much lower success rate in trying to achieve a pregnancy even with in-vitro fertilization (IVF). However it is very promising to read that you have had 2 pregnancies in the last 5 years one of which was in January this year and even though they have ended in miscarriages the fact that you have conceived is an excellent sign that you still have the ability to conceive. One can use all the tests available such as checking antral-follicle counts, doing inhibin levels, doing AMH and FSH levels and these are only predictors, however, the best predictor is the fact that a pregnancy has occurred, so this to me is very promising. I cannot tell you an exact success rate because it would differ from person to person but I agree with you that certainly a higher dose of medication would be required in order to try and achieve as many follicles as possible in your particular situation. The cost of IVF would differ from clinic to clinic and I suggest that you phone the clinics that are closest to you to ascertain the costs.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2011/06/21

Dear CT

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

Reply to Fertility expert