Question
Posted by: mom | 2008/09/11

love handles!

I have read other posts about exercise and diet and neither seem to help me target my handles - which are really terrible.
I went to a dietician and am at my goal weight, and although I' ve slowed down a little at gym thanks to increased workload, even when I was training 6 days a week, varying cardio and weights as well as intensity, the handles were still there!
Now with beach season approaching, I' m looking for other solutions.
At the moment, I aim to do 40 mins or cardio 3 days a week, weights twice a week and bikram yoga once a week. I dont always manage all these sessions butdo my best.
Any thing else that you think i can do? as I said, according to my dietician i' ve reached my goal weight and am following a good eating plan...
thanks!!!

It's a difficult one. YOu'll have seen in those other posts and answers that it's a common problem, but unfortunatley, there is no miracle cure. I'm not sure when you saw a dietician, but if you are making small changes to the diet, you can expect them to work for you over the next month or two. That, combined with exercise are the keys. NOw, your exercise is quite solid, I'm just not 100% sure that you are at the right intensity. It's important to train hard enough to solve the problem, but not so hard that you overdo it. That's a tricky balance. You might try to introduce some slightly harder training on one, maybe two of those days, and see if it helps you. By "harder", I mean something like an interval training session - one where you mix up short periods of faster running/cycling/rowing, with periods of slower exercise. That's quite good and often effective for overcoming the spot reduction problem.

But really, this will just take a lot of time, and so you need to stick with it, make sure about the diet and let that time happen!

Ross

1
Posted by: tazzmom | 2008/09/15

congrats on all your weight loss!! that' s great.
what works for me - but fitness doc will tell you can' t " target"  specific areas... i hold a 4kg dumbell in each hand, stand straight, knees slightly bent and reach over side to side, lowering the dumbell towards the floor. you should get it just past your knee, and you' ll feel the stretch in the oposite side " love handle area" 
i do about 40 each side and it hurts the next day. which tells me it' s working  -)
try it - and see!

Reply to tazzmom