Posted by: leeann | 2011-12-03

love eating

Hi doc
I am 29 and I just want to eat, my mouth is constantly busy. I am. Gaining a lot of weihgt recently. Is there something I can use or do to supress my hunger

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hi Leann,
Some of the responses that you have already received are good advice. You should not be trying to suppress your appetite, but rather try to eat in a moderate manner in order to attain a healthy and normal appetite. You might be eating on your emotional hunger rather than your appetite. Here is where seeing a therapist might help you identify what is missing or empty in your life. Seeing a dietician might be helpful in establishing the right types and quantities of food you need to be eating.

Posted by: Ali | 2012-02-18

I unnsretadd how that is. I also largely set the tone for my family. It''s hard, but I feel good making good decisions (although there are some nights when all I want is to curl up with a bucket of KFC).

Reply to Ali
Posted by: Me 2 | 2011-12-20

Leeann, I know exactly how you feel.

It''s not about any emotions that I''m substituting or any habit - as it was not a habit before. But I can''t seem to stop eating, either. And I have gained a horrific amt of weight! I don''t know what to do. I feel as if I have an eating disorder.

I used to always be small built, and now I''m fitting into size 38s!!!!! I feel as if I am addicted to food. It''s true that it''s mostly when I''m chilling out, like in the evening (almost ALWAYS in the evenings - JUST BEFORE BED). But I don''t feel I need a hobby. Neither am I lonely or unhappy. I''m just HUNGRY!!!! I don''t need a food journal because I''m pretty aware of when and what I eat. I mostly pig out on junk like crisps / biscuits / rusks / cakes, etc. For the most part of my day, I take care to eat properly. I do not starve myself, nor do I eat badly and I drink plenty of water. But come after supper, I can''t control my need for food. I don''t know what to do anymore :( It''s really not what I am eating that is the problem, but the volume ... and this is what I cannot control. I am short, pear-shaped and all this eating is expanding parts of me that I never knew before. Before I only had a slight issue with my hips and thighs, but loved my waste, stomach, arms, chest and neck area... Now every part of me is expanding like a balloon. I know the right things to do control my eating habits, and energy intake, I''ve been doing it most my life. I don''t why I can''t stop eating anymore.

Reply to Me 2
Posted by: leila | 2011-12-16

Sometimes when we get into a real habit of eating our minds dont know when to stop, so we continue eating simply out of habit. Start by eating abit less everyday until eventually your body adjusts and as soon as you start getting full , stop!
Also keep in mind that you shouldnt restrict your variety of food just because you want to lose weight, rather concentrate on how much you eating as opposed to what you are eating.
Hope this helps.

Reply to leila
Posted by: Kasandra | 2011-12-06

dont try to supress your hungry, rather try to find out which emotions you substitute for food. keep a food journal and write down how you are feeling when you eat. how hungry you are on a scale of 1 to 10 and how you are feeling. that will give you an idea

Reply to Kasandra