Question
Posted by: Wesley | 2012/12/12

Love bird doesnt eat big seed

I would firstly like to find out what would i have to do about a love bird that seems to have his beak right at the end cracked, as if maybe he bit on something as a baby when he was not suppose to. i bought him from a pet shop about a month ago and now i started to see that he battles to bite and strip through large sunflower seeds, would the cracked top part of his beak be the cause off that or what?(He handles the small sunflower seed and the budgie seed that is part of the food mix that i buy him, could you also point me to the right direction as to where i can pick up further information as to the proper bringing up and handling of loves birds.

Your help will be apreciated

HI AGAIN WESLEY. I WOULD RECOMMEND THAT YOU HAVE YOUR BIRD CHECKED OVER BY AN AVIAN VET TO SEE IF THE BEAK NEEDS A TRIM OR OTHER TREATMENT. DON'T WORRY ABOUT YOUR BIRD NOT COPING WITH SUNFLOWER SEEDS, AS THESE SHOULD IN ANY CASE ONLY MAKE UP A SMALL PART OF HIS DIET. LOVEBIRDS NEED TO EAT A BALANCED PARROT PELLET OR COOKING MIX, VEGETABLES, SOME FRUIT AND SOME SEED TO REMAIN HEALTHY. DR ELLIOTT

1
Posted by: VaalDonkie | 2013/01/15

DOn''t feed him just sunflower seeds. It''s like feeding your child nothing but sweets.

Reply to VaalDonkie