Question
Posted by: CP MOM | 2011/10/13

Louise de Waal

Why can''t i stop crying? Why has this upset me so much!

16 year old grabbed on her way to school. Found murdered and burnt so badly her parents could only identify her by her bellyring.

The man gave himself up after they found his bakkie with her school suitcase still in it. What will happen to him? 5 years with 4 suspended or WHAT!!!!

How many of us live near schools and our kids walk to school? In groups or with a friend and you think that''s " safe"  ?

That girl a year ago...who''s hands were cut off - they never found the guy.....

Sheldean......

Facebook killer......

Im sick to my stomach! So upset!

Even IF our kids get off the bus right in front of our homes and we are waiting - if a man wants to grab her he will...how do YOU stop him?

Scary, sickening!

OK, this isn't a true reaction to what happened ( and its an excllent example of how sensationalist and thoughtless press reports hurt people without helping anyone other than the publication ). Presumably you have been upset both by the pathetically sad events the story implied, and probably more, by the ugly reminder that such horrible things do happen in the world, and might even happen to us or those we care about.
Lets try not to over-estimate the number of predators out there - lets learn to be cautious but not too cautious, and careful, and also insist on living our lives as freelly as is practical, not to let the occasional predator control all of us.
Yes, we should push strongly for the justice system to become effective at long last, and for such creatures to be seriously punished and communities to be properly protected from them.
Of course the crime stats are almost entirely fictional - in my own experience as a victim of crime on numerous occasions, in only one case was the perp caught ( and that was because I caught him, four times ) and then an irresponsible magistrate set him free for foolish reasons ) and in all the other times there wasn't even any attempt to catch those responsible - and none of those crimes were ever placed into the statistics. It is clear to me that the police don't place any crime into the states unless they have a strong likelihood of a successful outcome to brag about.

14
Posted by: L | 2011/10/15

I also cried when I read the story. I have a 17 year old too. I cannot even begin to imagine what her mom must feel. I pray to God that he will give Louise mother the strength and spirit to perservere through this horrible horrible tragedy. It is every mothers worst nightmare, and then some!
You raise your baby, nurture him/her, love them, teach them values and morals only to find some dysfunctional rubbish comes along and wipes them away in the blink of an eye. I hope God strikes the murderer harder than the murderer struck the young Louise.

Reply to L
Posted by: Roommate | 2011/10/14

Sentenced for embezzeling money???? Unheard of in South Africa............... Sick country

Reply to Roommate
Posted by: CP Mom | 2011/10/14

i hear this morning some guy a trader embezzled money and was sentenced 11 years....and i think of a child rapist in SA goal currently...he got 5 years of which 3 has been suspended....makes me sick to my stomach!

Reply to CP Mom
Posted by: Romany | 2011/10/14

To R
Are you fimiliar with the justice system in The Emirates?
Do you know how organised, disciplined, HAPPY, safe the ex pats and (Which makes up 82% of the population and come from VERY diverse backgrounds) the locals are?
Maybe if you are so sure that the death penalty will not put the scare of God into these people you could come up with an alternative suggestion? Or maybe you have armed response and security doors in your house, maybe even a guard outside? And you just do not care a hell about your fellow South Africans? (Note, I do not say darkies or whities or whatever else you call your fellow South Africans)
Should we not rather castrate rapists then?
I am not saying " an eye for an eye"  but hey.... something has to give here and the government aint going to be doing that for us.
Take a drive in the city one night and see the street children for yourself. Hungry, cold, half naked, high on glue (can''t blame them). Then go home and think. Is the government worth supporting if it looks after its old people and children in this way?
They pretend to worry about the state of the hopsitals and the immortality rate but the LIVING children THE FUTURE OF THIS COUNTRY !!! are living on the streets, are being raped, sodomised and treated like sick dogs?
No sir/madam, get out of your comfort zone, wake up and look around you.
Have you ever filled the boot of your car with soup and bread and stopped somewhere in the city to feed these children? AT NIGHT? No you have not, because you are too scared for your safety but you will sit behind your laptop and say that the death penalty will not address this issue?
You see colour , talking about the " darkies" . Who even gives you the right to do that?
Anyway, I hope this never happens to your wife, daughter, so, mother, father........

Reply to Romany
Posted by: r | 2011/10/13

Naah, whitening the problem will not make it go away. Those were the days - direct translation, the darkies are doing it. -|- no - I witnessed a seven year old boy snatched, beating by white cops till he lossed his mind on the spot. Those were not the days - make peace with the current situation and stop yourself from wanting to believe that it because of the new goverment or the death penalty will stop psychos from being psychos. introduce death penalty - this suckers will just get smarter...these incidents are very unfutunate....and we are have psychos in all corners of the world including SA.

We are no exception....I dnt have a solutions...but i know that death penalty will not stop them, is like the crime rate going up and people believing that the death penalty will stop crime....people criminals are not scared to die....when will you get that,,,,,they know that anytime they can die and have made peace with it,

Reply to r
Posted by: K | 2011/10/13

life is a bitch....expect the worst and you might enjoy it more. some have no love, other no brains, others no money, others no health......no-one has it all. some even get killed, or maimed, or raped.

sad but true.

that is life.

it seems as if everyone just expects good things....well, that ain''t happening.

Reply to K
Posted by: Just saying! | 2011/10/13

This girl was living just around the corner from her school,
the kids walk in groups, stop saying the mother should not allow to walk alone to school ,it is not her mom''s fault it is the fault of the murderer, I live in that area , and the local high school and primary school are next to each other, and a load of kids walk there, he should not have taken her finish and klaar, on the other news sites, there are some readers blaming the mother.. IT IS NOT HER FAULT OR HER MOTHER''S FAULT ...

Reply to Just saying!
Posted by: Chris758 | 2011/10/13

Hi Caro. If things were going so bad where you lived umder the previous regime, is it now heaven on earth with the new government? Can you now walk in the streets at night, children playing outside at night?

Sit back and think if you are now safe in the townships! I think not!!!!!!!!!!! IT GOT WORSE!!!!!!

Reply to Chris758
Posted by: Romany | 2011/10/13

Hi Caro.
And what is it like in that area today?
Police protection is not only for the people with money and the people living outside the township you know.
Some people are forced to remain in the township and to bring their children up in the township.
Surely one does not need to move out of the townshio to enjoy a safe environment?
If my entire family lives in the township. Why should I move to be safe?

Reply to Romany
Posted by: Nicol | 2011/10/13

I too grew up in the 80''s in a township in Grabouw. Like Romany says, those were the days, carefree and safe. we walked evrywhere even in the dark

Reply to Nicol
Posted by: Caro | 2011/10/13

Romany, I beg to differ from one reality to the next. In those days growing up in the Cape Flats I was raped, ran away from stalkers, lived in a gang-riddled area, walked to school with the constant fear that I could be snatched at any time. It was not safe in our streets. We were not protected by ''safe'' neighbourhoods. We couldnt play in the streets at night because of bullets flying and gang-violence. Then came the eighties and the police were very present not to protect but only looking for people like my sister and me because we dared to boycott and stand up to the then government because we also wanted to live on those streets which were quiet and safe and send our children to better schools and visit the beaches some were not allowed onto. This is not a political debate, I''m just saying - our reallities were different. Those were the days but I promise you these are the days I live where I want but I am not the one bringing the crime. What exactly do you mean by those were the days? These things were always happening, just now with freedom of press and many more people''s realities being published about, the crime rate is more public. It was never then in the ''public'' interest to write about crime stats in the townships unless it had to do with riots and unrest.

Reply to Caro
Posted by: GBB | 2011/10/13

As a parent, we all live in constant fear of this sort of crime, but we cant lock our kids away from life. There are a few rules to help prevent this from happening:
Dont let 2 girls walk alone to school, thats looking for trouble.
Always know where and who they are with
Dont let kids hitchhike - that was fine in the 70''s not anymore

My sincere condolences to this girls family and friends. If you read all the news even international, this hienious crime happens everywhere, society as a whole is falling apart.

Reply to GBB
Posted by: Romany | 2011/10/13

A while ago a lady wrote on this forum. She was gang rapesd for days by a group of " men" .
The responses from readers (except one??) were that things will not get better until the death penalty is back in place.
Currently there are no real punishment for these sick people.
Going to jail is not punishment for them as it is the closest they will ever get to staying in a hotel.
I maintain that if there is no real punishment, why should these sick people not live out their fantasies?
Crime stats are down ? Bull bull bull !!! We are being fed a lot of rubish.
Things are getting worse every year. We clearly see this. We hear the stories that never reach the press and they outnumber the ones that actually make the paper my probably 5 to 1 or more.
This country is very very sick. What protection and rights does the street children have?
We have no Welfare to talk of anymore.....
Can you just imagine how many of these kids get violated, raped and even killed? Who cares? We will not even know about this as they are discarded like a dead animal found next to the highway.
Yes, I too am sick to my stomach.
I pray that the people of this country vote this government out so we can start afresh. So the stealing and the arrogance will stop. The destroying of everything that was build u over many years. The poor are getting poorer !!!! Do people not see this?
I was just telling my son and his friends last night how we used to walk from school, eating the fruit from the trees on the pavement as we walk. (What fruit? What pavement? Walking? Were you crazy to walk?)
Telling him how all the kids played in the street until after dark. Windowshopping at night. Going to the park to kick a ball. Unsupervised and without pepper spay?
....................... those were the days.

Reply to Romany