Question
Posted by: Momof2 | 2012/09/11

Loud heartbeats

Dear Doctor

From the time I was pregnant I realised that my heart was beating too lound that I would hear it knocking in my ears. 3 years later I still hear these loud heart beats at nights when everything is quiet. It scares me because you do not want to hear your heart beating at night because it reminds you that it can stop as well. Am I being hypochondriac? Does everyone hear their heart beating when it is quiet? Is it normal?

Expert ImageCardiologist

Dear Mom of Two

Thanks for your question. My patients sometimes ask me the same question and I facetiously tell them not to worry when they hear their hearts beating, rather worry when they can’t hear their hearts beating!

It is perfectly normal to be aware of your heart. Some people are and some people aren’t, but it is not abnormal. The problem, if one can even call it a problem, is not the fault of your heart, which is simply doing its job. The “problem” is just your increased perception of your heart beat, which is a psychological phenomenon. By far the best is to simply stop worrying about it. It is not a problem!

Best wishes, JT.

1
Posted by: Cardiologist | 2012/09/14

Dear Mom of Two

Best wishes, JT.

Reply to Cardiologist