Question
Posted by: Katie | 2012-10-08

loud bang

Hi Dr

My brother has had 2 bypasses. He also takes a water pill and took a blood pressure pill, but was taken off the blood pressure pill because off bad dizziness. The dizziness remains,and he got dizzy last week, heard a very loud noise, as if a shot was pulled off next to his head. He at first thought he was shot. He fell down, but was still aware of what was going on around him (he did''nt faint) A brain scan the following day showed no signs of a stroke. What was the cause of the " bang" ? Is it the medication causing it?
On other hand my daughter (healthy) was sleeping last week, when she also went through the same experience as my brother, the bang was so loud that she woke up and almost fell off the bed. She has not gone for a scan, should she?

Expert ImageCardiologist

Hi Katie

Thanks for your question. I have no idea what caused the loud “bang” which your brother heard. It is highly unlikely that the sound originated in his body, and it certainly could not have been caused by any medication that I know of.

I also can’t explain why your daughter should have heard a similar “bang”, but it is also highly unlikely that it was anything to do with disease in her body. I do not think a scan is necessary.

Best wishes, JT

1
Posted by: Cardiologist | 2012-10-10

Hi Katie

Best wishes, JT

Reply to Cardiologist