Question
Posted by: MEL | 2011/02/24

Loud annoying collegues

How does one deal with annoying loud collegues?
I have begged, pleaded and asked rudely but the chaos continues...
We work in an open plan office and the crazyness drives me up the walls singing your favourite Metro FM song at the top of your lungs and getting other team members to join in...while barely 2 m from my table, simply drives me up the wall... how do I deal with thia, oh complaining to HR is not an option... as they simply dont care..

thanks

One of the curses of an open-plan office. I wonder whether what you describe constitutes an unfair work practice.
Interesting point about playing your own choice of radio station loudly, as HR couldn't fairly allow one and not the other, yet couldn't allow both. Try Classic FM, which may be the most mystifying choice, and better at covering the other bad music

8
Posted by: Been there. | 2011/02/24

Clearly you work for a company that has NO clue regards manners,ettiquette and general civilised behavior. This CAN be a problem when one works in a multi cultural office environment and management is too scared to do anything about it. I assume THEY are all ensconced in closed offices, upstairs away from the hoi palloi and the general antics that take place.
I work for a civilised company and open office ettiquette forms part of the workplace rules and anyone who acts outside the rules leaves themselves open to the disciplinary act and subsequent charges. Granted, we are all civilised so the problem has not arisen, but management has to stand up and be counted. I guess that''s the price we have to pay !!

Reply to Been there.
Posted by: QQ | 2011/02/24

Hi Mel

I /we have the exact same problem at work.
Loud laughing and speaking on top of her voice.
Constant " Oh my GXX" . I cannot handle this anymore either.

Reply to QQ
Posted by: Vaal Donkie | 2011/02/24

Sorry, I meant Jack Parow, but then I guess Kack Parow is an apt name.

Reply to Vaal Donkie
Posted by: Vaal Donkie | 2011/02/24

Buy kack Parow''s new CD. Play it extra loud. Something WILL happen.

Reply to Vaal Donkie
Posted by: What i did | 2011/02/24

Play frank sinatra and sing at the top of your voice.HR will have to intervene and will be unable to enforce the choice of one radio station without 100% agreement which they will not achieve. Radios will be banned across the board.
As for the shouting...............only 5 years till retirement to go!!!!!!!

Reply to What i did
Posted by: CHRIS758 | 2011/02/24

We have the same problem with our new SA colleages. Spitefull is an option to explain their loudness or maybe it is there culture but what does one expect from them? They do not do their work and only scream at each other!!

Reply to CHRIS758
Posted by: lol | 2011/02/24

Earplugs  D

Reply to lol