Posted by: Annabel | 2008-11-19

Lots of exercise, no difference

I am doing a lot of exercise and eating right. I go spinning 3-4 times a week, twice a week i also do weight training for half an hour and three times a week i go to a women' s only gym where i do quite an intense workout on their circuit (also has some cardio). I feel great and am loving all the exercise, but i' m not losing any weight whcih is kind of the point.
I weigh 65kgs and my BMI is 25.7 so i know i' m within the ' normal'  range but I am very small boned so i knwo this is too much for me and i need to lose about 10kgs. But nothing i do seems to work.
I' ve been doing this sort of gym for about 3 months now and while i' m fit as hell, i got weighed recently and iv' e actually put on a little weight (hoping that' s muscle).
My legs are fne, it' s my upper body (mostly stomach area) that i need to lose weight on.
Am i doing soemthing wrong?
Please help!!!

Hi Annabel

Very difficult one. It's hard to say without even more detail on your training programme. it sounds pretty decent, and everything you've said is probably what I would say if i didn't know anything.

One thing is that it might be that three months of training has seen you increase your muscle mass, which means your weight won't go down, even though you've lost a lot of fat mass. That's a real possibility. The fact that you are feeling better and stronger is a great sign - if you continue to get fitter, and continue to enjoy the training, then the scale and all the other numbers will take care of themselves.

in terms of what you can still look at - consider the diet. I know you say you eat well, but how do you know that? Has it been checked out by a dietician, and are you keeping a food diary of what you eat during each day? It is difficult to believe, but often people who train eat a lot more than they realise.

So just keep at it, give it more time, considering it's those stubborn areas, and address the possibilities that it's diet, or related to an increase in muscle mass.

Posted by: Bell | 2008-11-20

You might have reached your threshold and I know how hard it is to get under that,

Keep at it.

Personally I think if you feeling better then thats enough.

I am techincally 4 kgs more than my ideal weight but I look and feel great so I wont beat myself up over a few kilos.

PS : muscle weighs more than fat, you sure its not lean muscle thats keeping your weight " up" ??

Reply to Bell