Question
Posted by: Ron | 2008/08/15

Lots of cheese

Hi Diet Doc,

Is it bad to eat lots of cheese?
I love the stuff and often melt it over pasta and eat a huge plate of it. Either gouda or chedder. I don t put on fat easily so I' m not worried about that..

Dear Ron
Cheese is an excellent food because it is rich in high-quality proteins, B vitamins and calcium, but most cheeses have high fat and energy contents (e.g. between 20g and 30g, and 1500 to 1700 kJ per 100g) and because they are made of full-cream milk they also contain saturated fats (between 13 and 19g/100g). The high fat and saturated fat contents of cheeses in general may contribute to heart disease and certain types of cancer. It is, therefore, not a good idea to eat too much cheese - moderation is the key! Fat-free cottage cheese is a good option as it contains little fat (1g/100g) and is low in energy (303 kJ/100g).