Question
Posted by: ELES | 2008/06/11

Lost weight and want to firm up

Hi Fitness Doc

I lost 14kgs and would like know what I can do to tone up because I am a bit flabby in the tummy, thighs area. I need something I can do at home.

Thanks for all the help.

HI Eles

Depends on how you've achieved what you have so far. If you've done this using exercise and diet, then it is a matter of looking at your exercise and seeing what you might change to shift your result from weight loss to toning. That's not too difficult to do, it requires that you set different goals in your training.

As far as exercise goes, it is the cardio training, like cycling, running, stepping, aerobics, walking etc. that is most helpful in losing weight. All these activities cause heart rate to go up, and are increasing your body's metabolic rate, which ultimately causes you to lose weight by burning more fat (again, assuming you are also eating well). So I would say you should continue with what you are doing, keep focussed on the cardio. I think that 4 times a week is the minimum you should aim to exercise, five is probably the ideal number, but four is fine too. The intensity you train is also very important. A lot of times, people train a little too easy, perhaps. I am not saying you should go out and push super hard and exhaust yourself every day, but stepping up the intensity once or twice a week is certainly a good thing. You should aim for a total of 45 minutes or so (anything between 30 and 50 minutes is a good average), and you should finish each session feeling tired, but not exhausted. If you do that, and you eat well, then you should lose weight.

Finally, the weight training is also beneficial, though it has a different effect - by doing weight training, you increase your muscle mass, and that means that you body's metabolic rate is lifted. The effect of this is that once you begin to lose weight, you keep it off more than you would by simply dieting. So it is important to do some resistance training, though one or two sessions a week is plenty for the goals of fitness and weight loss.

1
Posted by: Lo ONE | 2008/06/11

interesting how did u do it to loose this much i would also like to loose some but strugling to. myself am using the firming lotion from Avon it works for me. pls help want to loose also.

Reply to Lo ONE