Question
Posted by: Sam | 2010/04/07

Lost one dog - how do we help our other dog with her grief

We have had two Bassets for eight years. We adopted them together from the SPCA, one male and one female. Last week we had to put the male Basset down (he had been diagnosed with Lymphoma in Sep, we went through 3 months of chemo and he went into remission. The Lymphoma came back at the end of March, and his liver started failing, so more chemo was not an option. We decided it would be kinder if we put him to sleep)

His death has been very difficult for my husband, myself and our other dog Penny. Penny seems a lot more timid at the moment and sleeps a lot. She also follows us around the house all the time (which is something she has never done) She always seemed very independent, Ozzy (the male) was always the dog wanting the attention. Today is the first day that Penny has been left alone at home - I know she is in mourning and feel terrible leaving her alone. We do not want to get another pet for a while (as we don''t want to feel as though we are replacing Ozzy) How do I help Penny feel less lonely and how do I help her through her grieving process?

Dear Sam

Get a DAP diffuser and some nutricalm tablets and just give it time to settle.

4
Posted by: Carol | 2010/04/09

Email me please at camoller at vodamail . co. za I have an idea that may appeal to you :(

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010/04/09

Dear Sam

Reply to Cybervet
Posted by: annemarie | 2010/04/07

Very tough, very sad. Just love her. Allow her to do exactly what she is doing, she seems to be craving extra attention. In a while she will be less sad, and I hope you and your husband too. I shed a tear for you all too.

Reply to annemarie
Posted by: annemarie | 2010/04/07

Reply to annemarie