Question
Posted by: anon | 2010/08/16

lost on committment to career

after completing matric at 17 i studied for a year but dropped out because i wasnt commited. i founda job in the profession i was studying for and excelled in it (well, thats what my boss said at the time..i think i could have done more. i was then headhunted in the corporate world and worked for a company for 8 years. i wanted study just to get a quaslification behind my career but failed to commit myself once again.i was again headhunted for a position in my profession by a very good SA co. and ma still unhappy. afraid will fail at impressing my bosses and peers. i''m now 29 and would like to study for a degree bu fear i will not commit myself to the end. i feel i could make even more money adn climb the professional ladder if I had a degree behind my name. i''m deeply unhappy about not having a qualification but am fearful i will disappoint myself adn others who have seen my non-commitment time and time again. i have a husband and am a full time step mother tom 2 teenage girls. i have commtted myself to them adn all their needs and now feel i need to commit myself to something i need but dont know how o can motivate and commit my life to about 8 yrs of distance learning to gain a degree. any advice?

Am I understanding - you have had several episodes of problems with studies, which you see as due to a lack of "committment", yet seem to have been successful and well thought-of in actual business / work ?
Is part-time study an option ? Would it be worth seeing a counsellor for some sessions to clarify what this "committment" problem actually is, and what's the best thing to do about it ?
Have you discussed your concerns with someone in HR, to understand better what your best prospects are, and to what extent a degree would or would not help there ?
Is the issue more that you feel you have to get a degree, but don't actuallt want to, or expect to enjoy, actually studying the relevant subjects ?

2
Posted by: Maria | 2010/08/16

I''m studying parttime for a degree and believe me you will get nowhere if you''re not committed to it because it''s not easy. You need to examin your beliefs about this issue. Will a degree really make that much difference to your career path? You seem to have done very well up to know, why would that change?

Reply to Maria