Posted by: Maria | 2011-05-16

Lost fingernail

I had an infection which resulted in my pinky nail coming loose from the finger. It was eventually just attached by a tiny bit in the corner, so my gp removed the whole nail. The relatively small wound that resulted is healing well. Is there something I can do to toughen up the skin in the area that would normally be covered by the nail? Or should I just keep a plaster on until the nail grows out again? My pinky feels like a tortoise without its shell!

Ask your GP for a hard finger cover, in order for the nail to grow unhindered. If you cover it with a plaster, the tissue of the nailbed can become very soft and regrowth of the nail might be influenced.