Posted by: Ang | 2009-01-28

Lost and Confused

I am so bewildered …  The GP has prescribed me Duromine, with instructions to follow a low GI low FAT eating plan, and exercise.
Simple ? I think not.

Exercise is not always easy, but I will battle my ‘ time daemons”  and make time for that (I have two boys under the age of two so time is precious)!
I considered a dietician, but they are just so expensive and medical aid won’ t cover it … 

Now what I need help with from you … 
I’ ve tried to read a lot of the articles under diet and health ect, and (I am ashamed to say it) I am now ever m ore confused as what to eat and what not to eat.
A few of the articles even contradict each other … , but what I gather is that we should have a protein and a starch with EVERY meal? Is that correct? Now protein would be meat / fish / chicken. That seems drastic? I normally only had it ONCE a day, either lunch or dinner. And a starch with every meal? Now I eat apples as snacks, and I’ ve tried to cut out wheat entirely until I’ ve lost weight, will my apples as snacks suffice as my starch? (I will eat an apple on the way to work, about 3 at work, one on the way home so in total about 5 apples a day).

My typical day’ s food will go as follows:

Breakfast –  All bran flakes and half cup of milk, cup of coffee with milk (also about half a cup of milk in the coffee) and sweetener in the coffee. I also have 5 x almonds with the coffee.

Snack –  one apple one apricot

Lunch –  2 x rye cracker bread with tuna OR steamed / roasted veg with either tuna or one chicken breast

Snack –  apple and apricot

Dinner –  either salad with tuna / chick pea’ s or steamed/grill veg with soya mince

I’ ve cut dairy out of my diet, all I have is the one glass of fat free milk in the morning between the coffee and tea. No cheese etc.

I’ ve also given up cooking oil and butter, and put either avo or olives in my salad in the evenings for that “ good fat”  and then the 5 x almonds in the morning for that “ good fat” .

On that topic of good and bad fat –  I so don’ t understand that entire concept. What is the difference between omega 3 and omega 6 and are there any other omega’ s that I have missed? I know that fish and almonds and avo have good fat (am I correct)? What other variations of good fat are there? When ever I buy something, I try to ensure that the fat content is the lowest available between the various options.

How does that sound? Am I doing something right / wrong / any alterations or recommendations? I am so poop scared of ‘ starving’  my body and then messing up my metabolism. I am trying so hard now that I am on the duromine to learn to eat healthy, correctly and learn to control my appetite. I was so excited a when I started, then I began to read up and boy, I have no clue anymore what is right and what is wrong and what is going on and I feel so lost ! ! !

Lastly, our paed explained to us that children work in weekly cycles when it comes to food. We must not try and feed him protein, starch, veggie and fruit all in the same meal, but rather just let him eat veggies one night, then the following evening protein, then the following evening he can have his fruit as dinner. If small children work in 7 day cycles, what is the cycle for adult? 24 hours or every meal?

Hope I made some sense, sorry for the loooong post !

Dear Ang
You are really confused and I am sorry about that because if you click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Weightloss' and 'Balanced diet', you can check out an example of a balanced, low-fat slimming diet. Compare this with what you are eating and you will see that you are actually on the right track, except for cutting out dairy - this is one of the most common mistakes people make when they are told to 'eat a low-fat diet'. You as a woman still need at least 3 cups of low-fat or fat-free milk or yoghurt a day to ensure that you ingest sufficient calcium (1200 mg per day). The difference between omega-6 and omega-3 is that we get sufficient omega-6 from a normal western diets from vegetable oils like the olives you have in the evening (you can also have a teaspoon of olive oil even when slimming!). On the other hand we don't eat enough omega-3 fatty acids which are found in fish, and omega-3 enriched foods (certain breads, milk, eggs, etc), so the idea is to relax about your omega-6 intake and eat fish 2-3 times a week. I do not agree with your Paed about children working in weekly cycles as this is not based on sound scientific theory. Human beings, even small ones after they have been weaned, are omnivores so we and our digestive systems are equipped to eat protein, starch, veggies, fruit, fats, etc, etc, together. The food compartmentalisation idea pops up every now and then, but it is really not necessary and will complicate your life and that of your children even more.
Hope this helps a bit.
Try and relax about your diet and stick to the sensible approach like buying low-fat options.