Question
Posted by: Skinnybones | 2008/08/11

Lost 35KG

I lost 35kg in in last 2 months while i had flu and i am now way under weight. I went from 85kg to 55kg and. 85 KG was the correct weight for my height. I still eat the same amout of food i used to but i dont seem to be gaining any weight. I keep losing weight. What can i do to gain weight quickly?

Dear Skinnybones
I am aghast that you have lost 35 kg as a result of the 'flu. Please go back to the dr who was treating you for the 'flu and have a medical checkup because this type of pronounced weightloss should ALWAYS be investigated. If you are given a clean bill of health, then I would suggest that you read the articles I have written on the subject of gaining weight. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Fresenius Kabi and Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone Fresenius on (011) 545-0000, or the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your energy intake. You can purchase liquid meal supplements at most chemist shops. Talk to the pharmacist about your need to gain weight and see which products he or she will recommend. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If you use a meal supplement such as Fresubin, with or without fibre, at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week.. Feedback from other Readers has indicated that they have successfully gained weight by using a meal supplement.