Question
Posted by: Jason | 2008/08/25

Loss of taste and smell

About a year ago I fell badly and knocked my head. There was bleeding from my ear and it was attended to. I have for sometime now experienced almost complete loss of all tastes and smells and occasionally feel dizzy when raising from a laying position. I know I should have had it seen to but was hoping it to cure on its own. What are my options, will this need surgery?

Dear Jason
Please see an Ear nose and throat surgeon, you may have had a fracture of the skull base and you may need examinations like a MR scan. It is unlikely to need surgery but may need medication.