Posted by: Petra | 2009-08-11

Loss of smell and taste

My cold/flu started a month ago and I received a course of antibiotics. The symptoms have since cleared up and I just have a bit of the sniffles left. But my ability to smell or taste has not returned at all. Should I be worried - does it take this long to normalise again or should I have it checked out?

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Petra,
After a viral infection it is possible to have this problem for 6 to 8 weeks after the infection. Viral infections tend to have an effect on the nasal cells, and this may account for your problem. There will also be some residual swelling (oedema) of the nasal cavity that takes time to improve. If the problem persists after about two months, you could have it assessed by an ENT.

Posted by: Frances | 2009-08-13

I have had a bad flemmy cough and sore throat for the past year....I do have asthma which is very much under control. I have been on antibiotics every month for the past year and have had a chest xray which is clear. Am at my wits end as it is so depressing having this terrible cough (I do not smoke either) and this very bad sore throat that I can barely swallow. Please can you offer some advice. Thanks

Reply to Frances