Question
Posted by: TJ | 2008/08/10

Loss of period after lots of exersice

hey,

im 14 years old 5ft 4in and bout 54kg.

i havent had my period properly within the last 7-8 months or so.
i started doing exersice like walking between 5-15km a day and not eating a lot, like not many carbs mainly raw vegies, porage and fruit, but still ate around 1300 calories, doing this i lost 10kg over a year (i was 60kg when i started, then got to 50kg) by this time my period was skipping and really light.. and only lasting a day if that. Then after a while my mum said i needed to eat more carbs and ppl were getting worred coz id lost 10 kg, so i started eating more carbs but as soon as i started eating carbs its like a couldnt get enough of them... so i over ate.. then because i was so worried about getting fatter i exersiced my-|-off, walked and ran round 20km then did arobic infront of the tv for round 2 a day. But i still put on a little bit of weight, then mum make me stop exersicing as much, but i found it hard to not eat so much, and even if i did eat good for a few days, if i got tired or stressed i would just binge on carbs, and i have put on around 4kg back on, and am now 54kg but im having trouble not bingeing and i also dont have my period back yet, the last time i had it it lasted 1 day and was extremly light. Im a vegatarian by the way.

what should i do? should i be worred?

Expert ImageTeen expert

Hi TJ,

the pattern you describe in terms of exercise and diet is a worry as you have described major changes in your physicality and in particular your mestrual cycle. Losing 10kg over a year is not so much a problem, but it does sound as if you are not eating a balanced diet - going from practically fasting to binge eating which will create a complete yo-yo effect in your metabolism.

In order to be healthy you need to get the balance right in terms of your diet - making sure you have the right amounts of all the different food groups. You also need to ensure that your exercise regime is not too extreme.

I strongly recommend that with your Mom you go and see your family doctor and explain what has been happening, and ask for a referral to a specialist dietician. You can also post your question to our DietDoc here at Health24, but I think you need to see a health professional face to face who can give you a thorough check-up. This is all important in terms of your long term health and physical development.