Question
Posted by: Unique | 2010/09/13

Loss of Motivation in Work

I have completely lost all motivation towards my work. This is the story:

I am generally a hardworker, have been a star performer throught out my career. Even with my current employer I have received a lot of recognition for high performance. It all went wrong when my manager left and they put an acting manager in the role, and boy did he shame Denzel Washington. It was all about his power as a manager, put restrictions on who we can speak to, was ugly about the fact that I was due to go on maternity leave - actually pushed for me to work during leave. I was offended by his behaviour bacause I realised he wanted us to work hard for his glory. It was all about him and improving his chances of the acting role to be converted to permanant. I was really hurt because we had a good relationship before the other manager left but it turned out he was using my energy to make himself look good like - he was my couch when I joined. When I came back I asked to be moved to another role and this was refused. I was told the department is already short staffed, it need experience people blah blah. Basically they put me to what felt like HELL from my perspective. I told the big boss from where I stand this organisation has punished me for working hard. they are denying me growth! I vowed (to myself) that I will NEVER give these guys my commitment. They will get the bare minimum not 150% like before.

This makes me feel so conflicted because it''s not natural for me to be not comitted to my work. I feel guilty ''cos I know of a lot of people that need jobs and here I am not really appreciating one. At the same time I will not take abuse just to keep a job. To cut a long story short they''ve recently agreed to move me to another role - unfortunately the reporting line has not changed but they promise the new role will be moved soon. The problem is I seem to not able to get over the things that put me through - the lack of leadership, selfishness and out right incompetence (for me some of their actions showed me shallow leadership skills). for me my issues were straight forward and should have been sorted by any manager with half a brain. I can''t bring myselt to commit again ( the boss'' boss - they were collaborating with my boss in their silly retention plan - told me I take my work too seriously. I should relax a little and not get hurt when things go wrong at work.) Ya right! to me this sounded like just work had in your current role and never plan to grow.

The point is I''m finding it difficult to pull myself up again.

Discuss this with HR and the Dept of Labour - some of what this pipsqueak is doing, such as harrassing you about maternity leave, is forbidden and lousy management.
Its understandably discouraging, and I hope that you and your co-workers have made it very clear to HR and the Boss, that this jumped up little temporary is an appallingly lousty manager and ask them NOT to confirm him permanently in that post.
There is no obligation on your to give 150 % at work, but make sure you still give 100 %, so there's no room for you to be criticized. But I'm sure opportunities will arise when you or others are expected by Pipsqeak to somehow pull his chestnuts out of the fire, and you may just manage not to rise to the occasion when it is solely for his benefit.
Abyhow, sounds like the promised change in reporting will free you from needing to work directly with him, and give him more time to reveal how incompetent he really is. With your new position, and the eventual change of reporting line, you should be able to rediscover your motivation again. Don't brood over the management's failures in this instance - maybe they were more desperate than it appeared to you, and were stuck with the guy

1