Question
Posted by: Ivy | 2010/08/18

Loss of hair on ears

I have a 12month old mini dachshund/mini doberman cross. He has lost a lot of hair on the tips of his ears and I noticed he lost a small piece of the tip of the ear this morning. What is this and how can I treat it?

Hi Ivy

Pinnal alopecia is most commonly encountered in the Dachshunds. Age of onset is anaware from 6 mths to 3 years of age. The condition results in pregressive miniaturization which leads to the thinning of the pinnal hair - this may lead to total hair loss later in life.

It is important to rule out other conditions such as Cushing's disease, Hypotyhyroidism, Demodex, Ringworm etc.

Diagnosis can be confirmed by physical examination and skin biopsy's.

Treatment is only for cosmetic purposesbut would involve oral melatonin

2
Posted by: Ivy | 2010/08/18

Thank you, I will take him to the vet today then.

Reply to Ivy
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010/08/18

Hi Ivy

Reply to CyberVet