Question
Posted by: Concerned | 2012-06-19

loss of balance and blacking out

Hi Cyberdoc

There doesnt appear to be a neurological expert here so I am helping you can maybe shed some light.
My father suffers from a condition that sometimes his legs give way under him or he loses his balances and falls without warning. He sometimes bangs his head, ends up with grazes and cuts etc. He is 73. My doc here in Joburg said he had suffered a mini stroke as once he fell and my mom said he was speaking non-sense for about 10 minutes afterwards (not garbled stuff but just arbitrary stuff). He seems to have a fall a couple of times a week at the least - I dont think they are telling me the truth about how often it happens. It seems worse with stress. My doc here in December said his blood pressure was very high and then a couple of months later their doc in Colenso said the blood pressure had come down. What can be causing these episodes? I am extremely worried about him and concerned he could be having many little strokes. He also sometimes blinks a lot and twitches his neck... so I also wonder about parkinsons?
They have not actually addressed this problem with their local doctor.
Please advise ASAP

I strongly suggest that your father consults a neurologist for an examination, CT scan and possible MRI scan. It is in fact possible that he is suffering from multiple mini strokes. The neurologist will also be able to exclude Parkinsons as a possibility.

2
Posted by: Concerned | 2012-06-20

Thanks Doc
Problem is he does not have medical aid and only receives a pitiful state pension. My husband and I are also not able to fund the neurologist and scan costs. Can he get this done at a government facility? I am concerned about government hospitals as the staff never seem to care about the patients

Reply to Concerned
Posted by: Tracey | 2012-06-19

Hi Concerned
This is in no way a diagnosis. I just want to tell you that my aunt was blacking out (73) and they could find no reason. Then she was admitted to hospital and they found out that her heartbeat was slowing down to the point she passed out and was also sometimes a bit incoherent. She has had a pace-maker put in and her troubles in this regard are over. I am not sure if this can help you but seriously they tested her over and over again before finally diagnosing what the problem was. She became extremely anxious and was convinced that she was dying so the stress prior to the correct diagnosis did not help her either. I would recommend that he sees a professional as soon as possible.
Best wishes for you and your dad.

Reply to Tracey