Question
Posted by: Brenda | 2012/01/28

Loss of Appetite

Please could you urgently give me some advice... My dad is not eating at all, he will go days without eating a thing. i have had him at the GP and Specialist and he was told that out of the 24 vitamins and minerals that the body needs to stay alive and well he has a deficiency of 22. he refuses to eat anything he is having blackouts and extremely dizzy, and he is loosing body mass.

Please advise what i can do to get his appetite back, and in the mean time what can i give him to try and improve his health?

Dear Brenda
I am so sorry to hear that your dear Dad is refusing to eat. Did the GP and the specialist indicate if he is suffering from any underlying condition that has robbed him of his appetite? Factors such as depression, and serious illnesses like cancer, can suppress the appetite. If he does not have a serious underlying illness, then I would suggest that you have your Dad evaluated by a psychiatrist to determine if he is suffering from severe depression and to prescribe treatment that will help him. In the meanwhile, please buy a liquid meal supplement such as Nutren or Ensure at your chemist to provide your Dad with an easily absorbable, nutritious food. Also ask the chemist to give you a liquid mineral and vitamin supplement so that you can add the prescribed dose to the liquid meals. You can also try making tempting smoothies using fresh fruit, honey, and full-cream milk. To increase the nutritive content you can add 4 T full-cream powdered milk to the smoothy and the daily dose of liquid vitamins and minerals. Offer your Dad all his favourite soft foods such as ice cream - anything to tempt him back to eating. If he continues to refuse to eat, you may need to have your Dad hospitalised so that he can be given the required nutrients by means of a nasogastric tube.
Holding thumbs that your Dad will start eating again and that you can restore him to good health.

2
Posted by: Steven | 2012/02/10

A roualgtien group actually firm entity formed by unique or a great lawyers to engage inside of of make the most of of legislation

Reply to Steven

Dear Brenda