Question
Posted by: ZANDIM | 2012-05-09

LOSING WEIGHT WHILE BREASTFEEDING

I''M STILL BREASTFEEDING MY 14MONTH OLD SON, AND I PLAN TO CONTINUE UNTIL DECEMBER THIS YEAR. NOW MY PROBLEM IS THAT THE B1ST 6MONTHS OF BREASTFEEDING I WAS LOOSING. AFTER THAT I STARTED GAINING A LOT OF WEIGHT.NOTHING CHANGED WITH THE FOOD I ATE THEN AND NOW. AND THE PORTION SIZE IS STILL THE SAME. I''M AT A POINT THAT THE WEIGHT GAINED IS CREATING HEALTH PROBLEMS. CAN I START WITH A WEIGHT LOSS NOW OR DO I WAIT UNTIL I''VE WEANED MY BABY OFF OF THE BREAST?

Dear Zandim
Congratulations on the birth of your baby and that you have breastfed him for 14 months. Well done! I trust that your son is eating a well balanced diet by now that contains a variety of cereals, grains, fruit, vegetables, meat, fish, eggs, and yoghurt or maas, and is only obtaining his milk from the breastfeeding? If he is eating solids and getting plenty of nutrients from his diet then you can certainly use a low-fat, energy-reduced diet and exercise to start losing weight. To lose weight you need to basically change your lifestyle. Reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increase your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life) for at least 30 min a day. You could take baby for a brisk walk in his pram every day. If the slimming regimen reduces or dries up your milk supply you can consider weaning your son to a formula or cow's milk.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2012-05-09

Dear Zandim