Question
Posted by: chubby | 2010-01-10

losing weight +gym

ok so im 20 yrs old, weigh 105kg (significantly overweight) with a BMI of 33.

i just joined da gym, the biokineticist has given me a programme... twice a week im doing cardio, twice a week upper body strenght and twice a week lower body strengh.

i am extremely keen on losing this weight and gaining muscle, what i want to ask u is wat foods should i be eating? do i need to cut down on carbs? eat more proteins? must i take any protein supplements? im very confused

your help would be great as there is no point working so hard in da gym when u not eating the correct foods, which wil eventually not make me lose weight

thanx

Honestly, for a question of foods, you need to see a dietician. I know this may sound unnecessary, but it's absolutely vital, because all the training in the world will not help if you don't eat well. So you're 100% correct when you say there is no point.

And the simple answer is that you need carbs and proteins, but in the right amounts, and from the right sources. It's far more complex than just cutting out food groups. So I honestly believe your best bet is to sit down with a dietician and have them assess you - what do you like and dislike, what do you eat currently, what kind of training are you doing, and then personalize the diet for you.

Ross

4
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010-01-15

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc
Posted by: sands | 2010-01-13

For good eating tips that work, read similar posts under diet doc, she gives very good advice that works (from experience)

Reply to sands
Posted by: chubby | 2010-01-12

wow, thnx carmen! i appreciate al ure advice, yes its extremely difficult to lose weight, but by joining da gym i think im on my way there... being overweight has come to the point where it is dictating my life, i mean i feel shy goin to the beach n stuff! but hopefully wid ure advice n da gym things r abt to change

thank you

Reply to chubby
Posted by: Carmen | 2010-01-12

hey there,

first of all, i will suggest you to focus on loosing weight...cardio +weight,and obviously u have to cut down on food not increas it only because ur gyming ,
remember that in order to loose wight u need to burn more than u eat...
i dont know u and ur current health status so i tis difficult to say what u should eat...but definitely cut down on bad things like fat,sugar,white bread,chips etc....but do it slowly cause if u push urselfe to hard in the begining u will not enjoy it and most probably u will give up....so just instead of thinking that ur on diet change ur lifestyle and bad habits....for example eat breakfast and cut down on supper snack in between meal esspeccialy in the morning after breakfast and after lunch,
but when iam talking about snacks i talk about things like apples,carrots,grapes etc good things,drink plenty of water at least 2 L per day and make sure it is cold...colder whater is better cause not many people know about it that when ur body is getting cold it automaticly starts heating up using energy which means burning calories....only by drinking cold water amazing hey?....just control urselfe change ur minde set,belive in urselfe and set goals...but in the same time dont go crazy about it dont think constantly t hat ur on diet cause it will make u hungry and u will end up eating fridge!!! and maybe get urselfe some kinde of fut burn but just be carefull choosing right one there is lots of unhealthy things out there....i will recomend herbal drops " fat burn" u will find them at ur nearest pharmacy or dischem it will increas ur metablism and will give u some extra energy which u will need for workout.....and u know what,
just keep ur head up,smile on ur face and just do it,
and i know its easy to say but accually it is easy just press this red button and from there it will only get better....

good luck and all the best
Carmen

Reply to Carmen