Question
Posted by: EMZ | 2012/01/13

LOSING WEIGHT AFTER BABY

Hi, is it possible to be on diet while breastfeeding.

Dear EMZ
It is possible to lose weight while breastfeeding, but it is advisable not to use strict or unbalanced diets to achieve weightloss or to use any diet pills (both pharmaceutical and over-the-counter). The active ingredients of slimming pills and potions are usually excreted in mother's milk and can harm the baby when it is breastfeeding. Strict or unbalanced diets can lead to deficiencies in nutrients such as calcium to name but one example. Using excessive exercise to lose weight can also reduce your milk production and should be avoided. You can certainly use a balanced slimming diet with a slightly reduced energy content and daily exercise like taking baby for a brisk walk in te fresh air to lose weight and tighten up slack muscles. Ask your dietitian for a balanced slimming diet that will not deprive you or baby of vital nutrients or try eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet). If you use the latter diet, please add 2 servings of fat-free or low-fat milk or yoghurt or cottage cheese to the diet to ensure that you and baby obtain sufficient calcium for your needs.

3
Posted by: RD Magda Pieters | 2012/02/06

Yes, you can, but see a Registered dietician RD(SA) (Find one on the ADSA page), to make sure you eat healthily &  get all your nutrients. For a flat belly-it takes up to 12 weeks... exercise will help to tone &  strengthen those stretched muscles. Make sure your rectus abdominus muscless are still intackt, because if they tear appart during pregnancy, your tum cant be 100% falt again without having them sewn together again in an operation.

Reply to RD Magda Pieters
Posted by: julia | 2012/01/19

I was on a eating plan while I was pregnant - I only gained my baby''s weight - after birth I went back to my own weight - I did''nt breastfeed cause I did''nt have milk - eating plan was advised by my dietician - I''m now struggeling to get my tummy flat

Reply to julia

Dear EMZ