Question
Posted by: Trixie | 2010/05/17

LOSING WEIGHT

I am a 29 year old. Height 1.72 cm and weigh 128 kg. I no I am obese. Been to the doctor earlier this year, the did test on thyroid, insulin and sugar, cholesterol etc. Turns out according to the doctors i am in great health. I want to lose weight but don''t really have money to belong to a group like weighless, weightwatchers etc. I use to only eat once or twice a day and then have a big meal. i don''t want to go on high proteine diets and stuff like that. I want to know if i start to eat 5-6 very small meals throughout the day and get 20 min of exercise 5 days a week will I lose weight? An example of a days meals: morning - half a cup of muesli with yoghurt. mid morning a fruit and slice of wholewheat bread with cheese. lunch - cup of soup mid afternoon fruit and just before six o clock steamed veggies with proteines. Is this ok?

Dear Trixie
It is not necessary to join a weight reducing organisation, a gym or to spend lots of money on diet pills and potions. As you say, if you eat an energy reduced diet and do 30 min of aerobic exercise 5 days a week, then you will lose weight. Your present BMI of 43,2 is very high, so it would be excellent if you could lose some weight. As regards your diet, you can also compare it to the slimming diet on this Website which is a balanced, energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy). Split the 3 suggested meals into 5 or 6 smaller ones. Aerobic exercise that you can do at home includes brisk walking, swimming, cycling and when you get fitter also skipping. Start gradually and increase how long and intensively you exercise until you are doing at least 30 min a day.

2

Dear Trixie

Posted by: Trixie | 2010/05/17

Throughout the day: water water water! Or rooibos tea without milk or sugar...

Reply to Trixie