Question
Posted by: lisa | 2010/01/25

losing weight

Hi Doc,

Thanks for your great reply on my previos Q!

I will be starting exersising tonight at home gym, I would like to know if you can posibly help me with knowing how much calories I should be burning in the gym, I will be gyming for an hour every night for 5-6 days a week and what will be the best exercises to do for weight loss

I will also be posting this Q to the fitness doc,

Kind regards

Dear Lisa
I am so glad to hear that you are going to start doing some exercises. I can't specify how many kcal or kJ you need to burn in the gym each day because exercise not only burns kcal while you are doing exercise, but it also raises what we call the Basic Metabolic Rate for up to 24 hours after the exercise. This increase in BMR often uses up more kcal than the actual exercise. The general recommendation is that people who want to lose weight should do a minimum of 30 min of aerobic exercise every day, and more if possible. The fact that you are going to be exercising for an hour for 5-6 days a week, is excellent and should do the trick. I don't know what equipment you have in your home gym, but exercises that burn maximum energy are skipping, cycling or spinning, jogging or brisk walking (on a treadmill), and swimming (if you have a pool?). Start slowly and for a short period of about 10 min and then increase how long and hard you exercise as you lose weight and get fitter.
Holding thumbs for your new regimen

1

Dear Lisa
Holding thumbs for your new regimen