Question
Posted by: matt | 2010-01-10

losing weight

ok so im 20 yrs old, weigh 105kg (significantly overweight) with a BMI of 33.

i just joined da gym, the biokineticist has given me a programme... twice a week im doing cardio, twice a week upper body strenght and twice a week lower body strengh.

i am extremely keen on losing this weight and gaining muscle, what i want to ask u is wat foods should i be eating? do i need to cut down on carbs? eat more proteins? must i take any protein supplements? im very confused

your help would be great as there is no point working so hard in da gym when u not eating the correct foods, which wil eventually not make me lose weight

thanx

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Dear Matt,

It is great that you have decided to start exercising and change your eating habits!

The most important thing to remember is to follow healthy eating guidelines, which means to enjoy lots of wholegrain carbohydrates, eat a low fat diet, high in fruits and vegetables as well as low fat dairy products and lean proteins. The combination of all the macronutrients are important.

Regarding specific nutrition to suit your training requirements, the most important factor is to make sure you recover quickly after your training session. This recovery should include protein and carbohydrates. Expensive supplements are not always necessary and something like a yogi sip or chocolate milk is ideal for recovery. You should try to have your recovery meal / drink within a half an hour after your training session.

If you would like a detailed dietary prescription or program, I would suggest you visit your nearest dietitian!

Enjoy the training!
Sunita

1
Posted by: Sports Nutrition | 2010-01-15

Dear Matt,

Enjoy the training!
Sunita

Reply to Sports Nutrition