Posted by: Charne | 2009-08-03

losing weight

Hi Doc,

I am 1.45m long and i weigh 60kg, i nkow that i am overweight but dont know how much, and how much i should weigh, I had a child 5 yrs ago and just could not lose that weight again mainly bcos of bad eating habbits and very little exercise.

My main problem erea is my tummy and " love handles"  and also my upper legs, my butt is also bigger but not a huge problem

I am looking to go for a lifestyle change rather than a diet, i already know that i should at least have 5 pertions of fruit and lots of veggies and water. I unfortunatly have a weakness for coffee but i do drink it black. I want to throw up when eating chicken. can i still eat my normal spagetti bologn but in smaller portion maybe with a salad? I dont want to put myself through hell for the rest of my life so will i be able to enjoy food but in smaller amounts with lots of fruit and veggies?

I am also afraid of having loose skin after losing weight and i do want another child, would it be best to start imediatly or after another baby?

Dear Charne
Your present BMI = 28,6, which is in the overweight range. If you can reduce your weight to 50 kg then you would have a normal BMI of 24. For an ideal BMI of 22, you would need to weigh 46 kg, but I think you should first aim for a BMI of 24 and lose those first 10 kg. To lose weight you need to basically change your lifestyle. Reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increase your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). Doing this type of aerobic exercise every day for at least 30 min will stimulate your metabolism and help you lose that weight. In addition, you should try doing targeted exercises for the tummy and love handles and buttocks. If you do join a gym, ask the instructor to work out a special programme to firm up these areas. If you want to exercise at home, ask Fitness Doc on this Website for a set of exercises that target the tummy, love handles and buttocks. If you lose weight slowly and steadily and do plenty of exercise you should not have a problem with loose skin. I would recommend that you first lose weight and get back into the normal range, Before you have another baby because it is healthier to start a pregnancy at a normal weight.

Posted by: Big Loser | 2009-08-03

If you live in Cape Town I can give you contact details of my Biokenetics - with her help I have managed to loose 17.1KG over 6 months and I still have more to loose!

Reply to Big Loser
Posted by: Anon | 2009-08-03

First of all, your mind set needs to be right, it is hard work and takes time if you do it corectly

Posted by: Anthea | 2009-08-03

Good day
I am 42 and have been over weight my whole life i now want to start excersie and a proper eating plan.
How do i get started?

Reply to Anthea