Question
Posted by: Anon | 2009-07-06

Losing Weight

Hi there. I want to know. I'  m worried about my girlfriend. The last 4 months my girlfriend eats a lot, BUT she lost weight, and lost about 2 dress sizes. She is under enormous stress, as we are getting married in the next two weeks. Can it be this? We were worried that she might be pregnant a month ago because of her eating, but she isn'  t picking up weight. She'  s just losing weight. I know the doctor picked up a thyroid problem about 4 months ago. And that she has cycts on her thyroid and ovaries.
Why is she losing weight? Is this normal?

Dear Losing Weight
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. Extreme stress is a known factor that can cause massive weightloss. I would suspect that your girlfriend is losing weight because of the wedding and all the rushing around. I would, however, recommend that she should be examined by a specialist such as a gynae for the ovarian cysts and an endocrinologist for the thyroid cysts because both these conditions require treatment. If she does not have time right now and does not otherwise feel ill (dizziness, fainting spells, excessive urination, tremors, etc) then she should arrange to see these drs when she gets back. If she is exhibiting this type of symptom, then I would urge you to see that she consults a dr before the wedding if possible, because the dr may be able to prescribe medication to control some of the symptoms (e.g. if the cysts on her thyroid are causing hyperthyroidism which could cause weightloss, tremors or shakiness, insomnia, nervousness, increase in body temperature, etc, then the dr may be able to treat them now already).
Wishing you and your girlfriend a wonderful wedding and honeymoon.