Question
Posted by: suzie | 2009-01-13

losing weight

I have been losing and gaining constantly since I had my baby.
I have been dignosed with Graves Disease but am not on any medication as my blood results show normal levels. How do I take the weight off and keep it off. Just because my blood tests show normal thyroids, can my weight fluctuation still be because of it. Previous to falling pregnant, I did not have weight issues except for that related to my thyroids.

Dear Suzie
Are you under the care of a physician or an Endocrinologist (medical dr who specialises in hormone imbalances)? If not, I would recommend that you consult one of these medical specialists because your thyroid function may well be abnormal despite the normal results obtained with standard blood tests. In the early stages of Grave's disease one would expect most, but not all, patients to suffer from an overproduction of thyroid hormone (hyperthyroidism) which would lead to weightloss. However, patients can also develop hypothyroidism which would cause weight gain. More detailed tests which a specialist would perform could shed light on what stage you are in at the moment and how this affects your weight. Pregnancy would complicate your thyroid problem.
I do therefore think that your weight fluctuations are related to the Grave's disease and that seeing an Endocrinologist would be useful.

2
Posted by: suzie | 2009-01-15

Thank you doc.. I was under an endocrinologists care about 6 years ago and then stopped because it was too costly. I fell pregnant in jan 2005 and lost that pregnancy .. suspected to be a spontainious abortion due to high thyroid levels. When I fell pregnant again a few months later, I had extremely high levels and changed gynae who monitored me very carefully with weekly visits until I was stable in my 2nd trimester. Since then, I have only checked my levels with my gp. I will have a chat with him and ask him to refer me though. Thanks again.

Reply to suzie
Posted by: suzie | 2009-01-13

sorry.. forgot to mention my child is now 3 years old.... suzie

Reply to suzie