Question
Posted by: Lizelle | 2008/06/12

Losing weight

Hi I am very confused - I've changed to only using skim/fat free milk, but this morning I heard someone saying that even though full cream milk is low in fat, it is high is carbs, so what is the best milk to use, also keeping in mind osteoperosis. I also drink one glass of skim/fat free milk at night. I am 32, weighs 58 and am 1.67m. I know I am not overweight and does not actually need to lose weight, but this is the heaviest I've ever been. Before I had my son I weighed 54, and after his birth weighed about 56, but now it just seems as if nothing I'm doing is working to get rid of this 2kg. I am not exercising though, but I am active - I do my own housework etc, but this probably does not mean anything.

Dear Lizelle
Skim or fat-free milk is low in fat (0,2g/100 ml) and has a lower energy content (146 kJ/100 ml) compared to 2% milk (208 kJ/100 ml) or full-cream milk (257 kJ/100 ml). The carbohydrate content (mainly lactose) in all 3 milks is very similar (approx. 4.7 g/100 ml) which is in any case a low carb content. Cutting out carbs will not cause weight loss, but reducing energy intake will, so your change to using fat-free milk should help keep your weight in check. I must point out that your present BMI = 20,8 which is below the ideal for your height (for an ideal BMI of 22 you would have to weigh 62 kg), so you should not actually be trying to lose more weight. Doing any activity including housework, is beneficial to health.

1
Posted by: Michelle | 2008/06/13

Hi Lizelle, are you my twin? I am the same weight and age, the only difference is that I try to excercise at least 3 times a week but also not loosing one inch. I am sure dietdoc will give us some good advice.

Reply to Michelle