Question
Posted by: P | 2010/11/22

Losing my mind

Is it normal when your mind and personality change all of a sudden because of a movie/song/words? Sometimes I''m feeling totally normal and then I watch a movie, or read something, or someone says something and my mood changes completely. It''s not even just along the line of happiness/sadness. I change so much that I say things and do things I wouldn''t normally do. For example, I could tell someone I love them, even thoughin reality I don''t. And then when I ''wake up'' from this state of mind, I regret it deeply and feel really sad that I have to tell the person I didn''t mean it. I have a friend who has been my best childhood friend and I adore him in a very pure way. However, not long ago I was talking with someone else and I said very bad things about him. Now every time I think about it, I feel bad. I wish I could clean myself of all the things I have said and done but I can''t. My mind haunts me and I can''t even trust myself to go the right way because there''s always a chance something will influence me into not being myself for a second (which is usually enough for big irrepairable mistakes to happen). It''s like being high. Things don''t feel real and I feel free to say too much because I don''t predict the consequences until I''m back to normal. I still know what I''m doing and I wouldn''t kill someone or have sex with the wrong person or any other things of that sort, but I miscalculate things and say what I shouldn''t.
Recently, I''ve had too much on my mind, too many worries, too much confusion, it''s all very hard to handle, and when I experience a mind change like I described above, I don''t even know what I want in life anymore. I feel so lost.

No, it wouldn't be normal IF that actually happened. But your mind and personality are exactly the same now as they ever were. What may change is our mood and thoughts, and that's normal, except that most of us don't inflate it's importance or consider it so major or ominous.
And something like telling someone you love them when they don't is simply not exercising common sense and self-control, something which you surely CAN do and for some reason occasionally don't care to.
See a psychologist, ideally, or at least a counsellor, for a proper assessment and advice on how to get yourself back under normal self-management

1