Question
Posted by: Bill | 2011/08/29

Losing hope in this battle

I have been battling with a severe depression/anxiety/bipolar 2 mess for over a year now and some days it feels as if I have made no progress whatsoever. I have been hospitalised a few times, I have tried 3 different anti depressants, I take anti-psychotics, I take mood stablisers, I abstain from alcohol, I maintain healthy sleeping habits, I exercise regularly and eat healthy, in fact I do everything by the book but still I barely cope with this illness. Should I go and see another doctor?

Fr4om the sound of it, you should both discuss this with your existing psychiatrist, and also suggest a second opinion - even if you're working with an excellent doc, someone fresh might have a different viewpoint that could be helpful. Also, though you seem to be doing most of the right things, the remediies sound mainly chemical, and I'd suggest you ask about adding CBT-style counselling to the mix, as there are aspect of any illenss which medication alone cant and wont fix.

1