Question
Posted by: mother | 2010/09/10

losing hair

Hi, my 8 year old (human yrs) cat keeps losing hair in on her hind legs and tummy area. I had her at the SPCA but they said it could be hormonal or a worm. I deworm my cat twice a year. What can the problem be? Ver concerned mother.

Sorry for the late reply

I suspect tht you cat may have a behavioural disorder associated with anxiety. Licking of the skin leads to a god feel factor - seratonin release.

This is a difficult condition to treat and may involve the use of hormone therapy or the use of psychotropic drugs such as clomipramine.

See if there is an initiating factorto the anxiety - new cats in the environment, other cats coming into the house etc.

4
Posted by: mommy | 2010/10/11

Hi, any further advice? This time around the hair is not growing back.

mommy

Reply to mommy
Posted by: mother | 2010/09/14

Thank you so much. She does not excessively lick herself. The hair also falls out on her tummy, literally looks like she has been shaven. She has never been a loving cat, a total loner and only demands to be fed and left alone. We interact, she and I but she prefers only to play when she is in the mood. As for other cats, I also can’ t say. I have only seen 1 other cat in the area and I am living at my home for 5 years. Maybe I should change her food? At the moment she is eating Friskies and she loves it. Loves it more than Hills. Mother

Reply to mother
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010/09/13

Sorry for the late reply

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Cat Lady | 2010/09/11

Its liekly to be a hormone problem. I have 11 cats and some of them have similar symptoms - age makes no difference although the oldest one is 15, one 14 years, 13 and 4 years old that are all on Ovarid 20mg. They get given one quarter of a tablet per week and the problem is solved. Obtainable at your vet but he will probably want to check out the cat first. Good luck. It really works.

Reply to Cat Lady