Question
Posted by: HBM | 2011/08/18

Losing CM but weight constant

I have noticed over the last month or so that my shorts/pants are not as " tight"  around my waist and hip areas as well as the top of my legs yet my weight has remained the same. It seems almost that i am " leaner"  and I have relatively good muscle definition.

I train consistently and eat healthy 95% of the time. Any idea why this could be???

Hi HBM

Two reasons. One is that as a result of training, you increase muscle mass. That means that even if you lose fat mass, your overall weight stays similar. People often gain weight as a result of this. Then the other reason, more for someone who has just begun training, is that their blood volume goes up - you can produce a whole extra liter of blood and that means 1kg increase in mass.

SO what you're feeling is a positive response to training, it probably means lean mass is going up. There is another possibility and that is that your training is causing your overall energy use to exceed your intake, and you're losing fat mass. But I think that given that your mass has stayed the same, it's more likely the former.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/09/04

Hi HBM

Reply to fitnessdoc