Question
Posted by: Angie | 2011/04/11

Lose weight for me

HI doc,

I am obese. I weigh 106kg''s. I am 1.63m tall and am 40 years old. I have been battling with my weight for about 12 years now. I do know some of my problem is food related. I love food and am an emotional eater. The last 15 years or so I have had a lot of tragedy in my life, and food has helped me get through some of the pain.

I would like to lose the weight safely, permanantly and naturally. I am dealing with my emotional issues by getting therapy.

Now it is time to address the weight problem with the potential health issues. I have many diabetics (type 11) in my family. Together with hypertention, cholestrol. I do not want to go there.

What would you suggest as a healthy way to lose weight? I am doing thing for myself, becuase I owe it to myself.

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hi Angie,
It's excellent that you have been in therapy and tat you are addressing your issues. Of course, food has not so much helped you through your pain, but helped you avoid feeling your pain. It's been something of a drug for you, numbing your emotions. Does that make sense? With regards to weight loss, I would suggest that you speak to your therapist about seeing a dietician while still continuing with your therapy. if you are guided by a dietician to lose weight in a healthy and moderated manner, you will likely start to feel vulnerable as you lose weight and let down the "shield" that you extra body weight has served. Your therapist and dietician should, therefore, work in conjunction. you are absolutely right that you need to address your weight condition, as you sit on the cusp of the morbidly obese category, which is essentially life threatening. You have a Body mass Index of 39.9, where individuals begin to qualify for weight loss surgery, which is a serious and last resort to losing weight where health conditions are at serious risk. Have you been checked for diabetes type II, hyperlipidemia, hypertension, etc? As you might know, one of my areas of work is on a surgical team that provides bariatric (weight loss) surgery, but patients have to qualify through a stringent assessment programme. It is a last resort, so consider seeing a dietician first. If you would like some more information or referrals, or you would like your therapist to talk to me, I am happy to do so. Well done on facing your challenges. That’s great to see!
Regards,
Graham

1
Posted by: Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert | 2011/04/12

Hi Angie,
Regards,
Graham

Reply to Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert