Question
Posted by: Wihan | 2009-11-04

lose fat and keep mucsle..

Hi,I'  ve been doing bodybuilding for about a year now and have put on alot of mucsle mass.. I have been eating alot of carbs and protein daily.

I now want to go on a diet to try and shake off the extra fat on my belly.. But I desperately want to keep all the mucsle I'  ve been working to get the past year.. Is there any specific food,shakes,pills,vitamins,minerals or anything I can use or eat to keep my mucsle while being on a diet,not doing weight training and not eating that much carbs.. ?

Wihan

Dear Wihan
If you are not generally overweight (?) then you need to ask your gym instructor to work out an exercise programme that specifically targets your stomach muscles. If you are overweight then you will need to lose weight by reducing your energy intake and upping your cardio exercises. I think it would be a good idea to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to work out what you are eating at the moment and then calculate an energy-reduced diet prescription for you that makes you lose fat without loss of lean muscle tissue and still provides you with enough energy to do your strenuous exercise programme. Rather spend some money on consulting a dietitian than buying all kinds of pills and potions or eating unbalanced diets. Carbs are low in energy if you don't eat them with lots of added fat and carbs are still your best source of energy for exercise (just look at the Tour de France cyclists who eat up to 70% of their energy as carbs and are as thin as can be).

2
Posted by: Beverley | 2009-11-05

send me an email and I will forward some results stories and what they did to lose body fat and maintain muscle mass

Reply to Beverley
Posted by: DietDoc | 2009-11-04

Dear Wihan