Question
Posted by: Kevin | 2009/12/23

Lorien,Finasteride and Simply Slim

Good morning,
I am taking 1mg of Finasteride and 20ml of lorien daily. However when I started taking simplyslim, I was getting very depressed and kind of aggrevated. I stopped taking the lorien and felt much better on day one. Today is day 2 and I also feel much better.

Can you tell me the effect of simplyslim on these two medications I am taking? I am 28 and male.

The lorien is for depression and Finasteride is for hairloss.

Thanks, any information is appreciated.

Dear Kevin
If the Lorien and Finasteride have been prescribed by your doctor then you should not stop taking them unless instructed to do so by the dr, esp the antidepressant! As regards Simply Slim, one of my Readers provided me with the list of ingredients and here is the evaluation: The fact that a product contains so-called 'natural' or 'herbal' ingredients is no guarantee that it is safe - some of the most potentially harmful products are made from herbs. The Bitter Orange Extract contains synephrine and is an appetite suppressant. Synephrine is a form of epinephrine that can cause a whole list of negative side-effects including palpitations, insomnia, psychotic states and wost of all, addiction. Other forms of epinephrine have been banned in over-the-counter products and I would not recommend that slimmers should use any product that contains synephrine. Cassia seed and aloe vera are laxatives that may cause loss of normal bowel movements and dehydration if taken in excess. The L-carnitine should not be taken by anyone with thyroid problems as it suppresses thyroid function.
I am not sure why the Lotus or Water Lily is being added to a slimming product because it is basically used as an aphrodisiac! It may be added to make you "feel euphoric" as the one advertisement for Blue Lotus states.
The Evening Primrose oil, and dietary fibre should not be harmful and the dextrose is probably added as a sweetener to improve the taste. My recommendation is that you contact your dr immediately and discuss the fact that you have stopped your antidepressant and also enquire what the effect of taking synephrine, which is a form of epinephrine, is on your medications.
Take care

5
Posted by: Adeline | 2010/01/23

There is evidence that Bitter Orange Extract cause cardiovasular toxicity... Here is my story.. I'  ve only been using Simply Slim for 4 months (not using it anymore...

On Monday the 5th of Jan 2010, my appendix was taken out via emergency surgery. I was discharged the Thursday morning. I started limping when I walked, but brushed it off as a discomfort from surgery. 2 days later I was admitted to Milpark Hospital (Johannesburg, South Africa), with a DVT (Deep Vein Thrombsis) in my left thigh and was also diagnosed with severe PE (Pulmonary Embolisms). I was standing on death'  s front door!!! Various blood tests were done to establish whether I had any previous genetic blood disorders (PCR Genetic diseases) and were eliminated by both the Pathology Lab and the Vascular Surgeon. There was no evidence of another cause for my blood clots.

I am now wearing a compression stocking that I'  ll have on for the next year. I have been placed on Warfarin medication for a year. I have to have my blood drawn and tested every few days. My new best friend has become an Anticoagulantion Clinic!!!
I am forced to wear a Medic Alert ID bracelet with this info. If I get cut, I will bleed to death faster than normal. If I fall, I must report the fall to my clinic. I bruise easily (I sound like Natasha Beddingfield)

Warfarin is serious stuff - Warfarin is a coumarin-type anticoagulant and acts by depressing synthesis of Vitamin-K dependent coagulation factors in the liver. Warfarin is used to prevent and treat harmful blood clots. This medication helps to keep blood flowing smoothly in your body by decreasing the amount of clotting proteins in the blood. Warfarin is sometimes commonly referred to as a "  blood thinner,"  but its more correct term is "  anticoagulant." 

SIDE-EFFECTS AND SPECIAL PRECAUTIONS:
Haemorrhage from almost any organ of the body with the consequent effects of haematomas as well as anaemia. Skin necrosis may occur. Purple toe syndrome - a reversible, sometimes painful, bluish discoloration of the toes may occur. Nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, stomach/abdominal bloating or cramps may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, notify your doctor or pharmacist promptly. Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medication because the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects. This medication can cause bleeding if its effect on your blood clotting proteins is too much (unusually high PT and INR results). Even if your doctor stops your medication, this risk can persist for up to a week. Tell your doctor immediately if any of these signs of serious bleeding occur: unusual pain/swelling/discomfort, prolonged bleeding from cuts or gums, persistent nosebleeds, unusually heavy or prolonged menstrual flow, unusual or easy bruising, dark urine, black stools, severe headache, unusual dizziness. Tell your doctor immediately if any of these highly unlikely but very serious side effects occur: persistent nausea or vomiting, stomach/abdominal pain, yellowing of eyes/skin. This drug may infrequently cause serious (possibly fatal) complications from the dislodging of solid patches of cholesterol from blood vessel walls which can block the blood supply to parts of your body. If left untreated, this can lead to severe tissue damage (gangrene). Seek immediate medical attention if any of these unlikely but serious side effects occur: painful red rash, dark discoloration of any body part (e.g., purple toe syndrome), sudden intense pain (e.g., back or muscle pain), foot ulcers, unusual change in the amount of urine, vision changes, confusion, slurred speech, one-sided weakness. A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is unlikely, but seek immediate medical attention if it occurs. Symptoms of a serious allergic reaction may include: rash, itching, swelling, severe dizziness, trouble breathing.

My CT scan report said the following...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Technique:
Post contrast through the chest as per Pulmonary Embolism Protocol.

Findings:
The central pulmonary artery appears normal. There is evidence of a filling defect in relation to the area of the left pulmonary artery, just at the level of the branch of the upper lobe segmental branch. There is the impression of thickening in relation to the segmental branch of the anterior segment of the right upper lobe with further impression of a suspicious filling defect noted in relation to the apical segmental branch.
Further evidence of eccentric pulmonary emboli noted along the right interlobar artery, continuing into the apical segmental branch of the right lower lobe. Continuing eccentric filling defect noted to extend into the right inferior pulmonary artery with defect noted inferiorly. There is evidence of a filling defect noted in relation to the lateral basal segmental branch of the right lower lobe. Further evidence of filling defect is noted in relation to the third order division branches to the posterobasal segment of the right lower lobe. The upper lobe segmental branch appears to be intact.
The left pulmonary arteryappears to be well opacified. There is evidence of eccentric clot in relation to the lateral wall of the left inferior pulmonary artery which is noted to continue inferiorly into the segmental branches of the anteromedial basal and laterobasal segmental branches.

The aortic arch and the rest of the thoracic aorta appears normal in calibre. The heart and chambers seem to be within normal limits. No pleural effusions or segmental atelectasis or pleauroparenchymal infarcts are noted.

The visualized liver, spleen, pancreas and upper poles of both kidneys appear to be normal. The intrahepatic IVC appears to be patent. Delayed scan performed through the lower abdomen and pelvis.

There is evidence of a filling defect in relation to the left common iliac just beyond the bifurcation just beyond the confluence with clot noted to extend o the left external iliac and left internal iliacs.
Clot noted in relation to left common femoral and left superficial femoral veins. The pelvic structures appear to be within normal limits.

There is evidence of multiple acute pulmonary emboli in relation to both lungs.
These were noted to involve predominantly the segmental and subsegmental order division branches. There is however clot noted in relation to the right inferior, right interlobar and left inferior pulmonary arteries.

Extensive clot noted to extend from the left common iliac vein distally.

DR J SARAWAN

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In layman'  s terms... I am lucky to be here! The clots in my thigh extends all the way from below my knee to my pelvis - ONS SOLID CLOT in my main artery. The other clots has already traveled trough my body, through my HEART and is now stuck just outside of my heart in my main pulmonary artery outside my lungs... several other ones are already inside of my lungs

Reply to Adeline
Posted by: MICHELLE | 2010/01/11

PLEASE READ " HELLOPETER"  RE SIPLY SLIM, I WILL NEVER USE IT AGAIN!

Reply to MICHELLE
Posted by: Kevin | 2010/01/11

Thanks for the information given, very much appreciated. :-)

Reply to Kevin
Posted by: Kevin | 2010/01/11

Reply to Kevin

Dear Kevin
Take care