Question
Posted by: Peter | 2009-04-06

Lorien

Good day,

I have been depressed since I can remember, just recently, I have put all the courage together that I could get together in my 28 years of life (male), and went to my GP. He put me on Lorien, Since then, I started to feel very much better, better that I ever could remember. But it has one downside, although I am rid of the aggression, thoughts of suicide, feeling blue all the time every day, it has taken away my sex drive. I seldom have a sex drive. Howcome it does this?

I get asked this so often, I really feel anoyed at docs who dont't bother to explain this to their patients and who don't actively inquore about whether this side-effect has shown up, and dealt with it. Most antidepressants (ADs) can as a side-effect interfere with sexual functions in SOME of those who take it ( loss of libido, erection problems, whatever ). None do it in everyone who takes it, and the effect is hard to predict. If it is troublesome, the doc needs to be told, and can change to any other AD in the hope that it will be equally effective in managing the depression but lack this side-effect, or consider some ADs like Wellbutrin which is much less likely to have such an effect.
Otherwise, one puts up with the side-efect, continues on the same AD, for 6 to 9 months to get rid of this depression, and the side-efefct goes away not long after one stops taking the AD. As sometimes one may need to stay on the AD long-term, its usually best to find one that doesn't trouble you in this way

1
Posted by: booboo | 2009-04-07

because it regulates and basically chemically controls serotonin - the feel good natural brain chemical this is linked directly to sex drive

Reply to booboo