Question
Posted by: Anna | 2009/10/20

loosing weight too slow

I have a client(38yrs) who is insulin resistant and has a thyroid problem..We train 4x a week and do ALOT of cardio but the weight is comming off too slowly..shes been on a few diets -cowen diet, juice diet and " die dieet waarvan almal praat" . Please advice why the weight is not dropping fast enough.

Hi Anna

Her metabolic condition is certainly a big barrier. I'd caution against those diets - they're rarely a good idea, because they usually mess with the metabolic system a great deal. I'm a big fan of a 'no-diet' approach, but rather sensible eating and good choices. So I'd suggest that she see a dietician and look at every dietary choice she makes rather than these fad, sensational miracle diets.

Other than that, there's not a great deal that you can do, because of the metabolic situation. She's not alone, most women with insulin resistance do really battle.

One thing you might look at is whether she's getting fitter. If she isn't, then the cardio is not a sufficient stress to cause changes, and that means it's not enough to cause weight loss either. So look at her fitness, and try to focus on that instead of weight, because that's something that can improve quickly, and it's a good motivational tool.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2009/10/27

Hi Anna

Reply to fitnessdoc