Posted by: Breastfeeding Mommy | 2009-07-27

Dear Doc. I' m 34 years old my baby is now 12 weeks old and I' m still breastfeeding fulltime and expressing breast milk at work. I was a whopping 98 kilograms during the last weeks of my pregnancy. For the past 4 years I managed to keep my weight at the " correct"  weight (64 kilos for 1.64 meters height) but I struggled to fall pregnant, gynae put me on fertility pills and I unfortunately gained 10kg, in the first three months of my pregnancy I suffered from severe nausea as a result I lived on ginger biscuits and mango juice as a result I gained a lot of weight. In the first 8 weeks after giving birth I lost 16kgs I presume due to breatsfeeding but the weight loss has now stopped, If I eat only three times a day eliminating fat and starch from my diet as I did before trying for a baby my breast milk becomes less I don' t know how to go about loosing this weight without affecting my breast milk. Please help.

Dear Breastfeeding Mommy
Congratulations on the birth of your baby, you must be so thrilled esp because it was difficult to conceive. Because this baby is so special and you want to give him or her the very best in life by breastfeeding as long as possible, I would like to recommend that you visit a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to help you with a slimming diet that does not dry up your milk and also provides all the nutrients you both need to be healthy and strong. If possible start doing some moderate exercise such as putting baby in the pram or in a holder on your back and going for a walk every day. The exercise will stimulate your metabolism and help with the weightloss.
Enjoy your dear baby