Posted by: musa | 2009-09-17

loose weight

i had been on diet since1 sept 2009 but instead of loosing i had gained by 15kgs,i do cardi for 1 hour for 4 days a weekBreakfast:
Eat: 2 portions of starch  1 portion of protein or 1 portion of dairy
Example (put together your own menu from the portion list): 1 cup of cooked oats  half a cup of milk  artificial sweetener.
Eat: 1 portion of fruit, 1 portion of carbohydrates, and 1 portion of protein
Example: 1 apple  2 ProVitas  1 tablespoon of peanut butter
Eat: 2 portions of carbohydrates  1 - 2 portions of protein  free vegetables
Example: 2 slices of bread and tuna salad (half a cup of tuna and salad)
Eat: 1 - 2 portions of fruit
Example: Small bunch of grapes and a pear
Eat: 2 portions of carbohydrates  2 portions of protein  free vegetables  small portion of " limited"  vegetables
Example: 1 cup of brown rice  2 small chicken thighs, cooked without the skin  a big portion of green beans/tomato/onion mix  small portion of pumpkin with cinnamon and artificial sweetener.
Late night:
Eat: 1 portion of low-fat or fat-free yoghurt.

can you plsease advice me on what can i do in order to loose weight ,i am 1.62 and 92 kgs 27 yrs old lady

Dear Musa
The diet you describe should be helping you to lose weight, and if you are in addition doing cardio exercise for 4 hours a week, this 15 kg weight gain is very strange. I think it is time that you had a medical checkup to find out what is causing your inability to lose weight. Possible factors are thyroid deficiency, insulin resistance or polycystic ovarian syndrome PCOS) which is also related to insulin resistance. Ask the dr to arrange tests for these various hormone problems. It is essential for anyone with insulin resistance (IR) to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’.
I hope you can get to the bottom of this mystery as to why you are not losing, but gaining weight. One other factor that must always be considered when a patient gains weight is depression. If you should be suffering from depression please discuss this with the dr too.

Posted by: Anna | 2009-10-20

I have a client(38yrs) who is insulin resistant and has a thyroid problem..We train 4x a week and do ALOT of cardio but the weight is comming off too slowly..shes been on a few diets -cowen diet, juice diet and "  die dieet waarvan almal praat"  . Please advice why the weight is not dropping fast enough.

Reply to Anna
Posted by: Madiale | 2009-09-22

Hi Doc, I can relate to Musa. I am not a big eater and have struggled to loose weight I go to gym and inco-porate running twice a week. I have been on a programme (The Diet that everyone is talking about) since 1st August 2009 and gained 3kg' s. IDuring the time I suffered from bloating and constipation and had to go for xray of the stomach.
I am so depressed because I have been on this Diet before and slowly managed to loose 6kg' s in six months.

Reply to Madiale
Posted by: musa | 2009-09-18

john can you send me a diet that can help me.maybe the one that i am using is not good for me ,my fax no 086 570 1059

Reply to musa
Posted by: John | 2009-09-18

You are eating a LOT!!

Reply to John