Question
Posted by: Lee | 2009/11/10

loose 5kg FAST

Hi Doc,

Please advise me on the fastest way to loose around 5kg relatively quickly. I weigh 60kg and want to weigh 55kg, i am only about 5.2m tall. I know that technically i am not over weight, but i am podgy. I also know that this boils down to excersize, so i am run/walking about 3 times a week, i will also start calanetics in January, not close to a gym. Not very fit and i do smoke, so my fitness needs to increase first. Please advise me on the correct foods (i know that if possible my proteins need to out weigh my carbs). I am not prepared to spend a lot of money on foods.
My current diet

BREAKFAST - ALL BRAN / LOW FAT MILK / SWEETNER
SNACK - 1 FRUIT
LUNCH - 2 SLICES LOW GI SEED LOAF / COTTAGE CHEESE
DINNER - GRILLED FISH/CHICKEN/STEAK/STEAMED VEG
SNACK - 1 FRUIT
1 LITRE OF WATER A DAY

As i said i do not want to spend a lot of money on yoghurts and cracker breads etc, I have 2 children in the house and this can become expensive.

thank you

Dear Lee
I am not sure what your BMI is because if you were 5.2m tall, you would be the tallest lady in the world! Did you mean 5 foot 2 inches instead? If so, then you would be 1.57 m tall in metric terms and your BMI would equal 24,3 which is nicely within the normal range (18-25). However, if you weigh 55 kg then your BMI would equal 22,4 which is ideal for your height of 1.57 m. I do not agree that your protein intake should be higher than your carb intake, because carbs without added fats are just as low in kJ as protein. Protein foods also tend to contain more fat than plain and high-fibre carbs. The diet you propose seems reasonable seeing that you have include the high-fibre breakfast cereal and the low-GI bread. I would add one more serving of low-fat or fat-free dairy product (milk, yoghurt or cottage cheese) to ensure that you still obtain sufficient calcium (1300 mg per day) for your needs. Don't try and lose the 5 kg "fast" because this usually results in "fast regains", something that you don't need. It is important for you to include as much exercise as possible because this stimulates your metabolism and will improve your fitness. Stopping smoking would also be a good idea.
Wishing you all the best

1

Dear Lee
Wishing you all the best