Question
Posted by: Sebe | 2010-12-06

Loop

Hi Doc,

I inserted a loop recently. I was told that my cervix is too short (whatever that means) and that the loop didn''t seem to be secured enough. The sister told me to look out when I change my pad whether it hasn''t fallen out. My concern is, even if it doesn''t fall out now, how sure can I be that it is secured enough to act as a contraceptive as intended. On the info sheet it says I should avoid sex for 2-3 days, then use other measures, like a condom, for two weeks. Then I''m due for a follow-up check up in 6 weeks. What if it''s not secured and I engage in sex before the check up only to be told it hasn''t been in place? Also I asked about whether I can continue with exercise, she said I should avoid it for a while but she wasn''t clear for how long. How long should I avoid exercise? is this normal or is it only recommended because of my problematic cervix?

Thanks in advance for your help!

You can insert a finger and check if the strings are there, then you will know that the loop is in place. You should do this every few months anyway. Exercise should not be a problem after the first few days.

1
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2010-12-09